Surprises, don’t you just love ’em? One of the joys of going to music festivals such as Womad Las Palmas for example, is the unknown. Who are we going to see? For the majority of artists and festival go’ers it will be the first time encountering each other. Chancing upon Trio Chemirani was a highpoint of going to Womad about three or four years ago. They played early on the first day, a percussive trio, an Iranian family, a father and his two sons, playing the zarb, a drum that isn’t technically a drum. Makes sense yes? As the zarb is played with all ten fingers, this presents melody, as well as rhythm, dope let me tell say.
Been listening to the Gonjasufi album alot since it’s release last week. Funkadelic, Chic, Captain Beefheart, Tom Waits, Mustafa Ozkent and more come to mind, and it’s still original get me? It’s well worth the price of admission.
Last Friday I handed over my contribution to the Galdino 2010 release, which I wrote about in the previous post. A little bit of tweaking to be done at Tuff Gong, and we are set. Adrian Sherwood is on the case as well, so it should be a quality package, as well as a damn good cause to publicize.
Lee ‘Scratch’ Perry takes on Black Sabbath, then Pempi went an’ dark’d it up with a bass frenzied attack. Eh? yeah, I know. When I dropped it at Txola last Friday, the one called Jose, was all WTF?! in my face. Now if we can get some bass-bins in the joint, then there’s gonna be some serious trouble. The newly-installed town-council enforced dB limiter as a right pain in the ass, so now we are only tickling people with the sound, and dat nah right.
On the subject of bass music, had to dig out Horsepower Productions, some quality pressure if I remember correctly.
The show as usual as it turns and twists, but not enough the throw you off the deep end, which maybe it should do actually.
In that case, I’ll try again next week, so for now….eat this.
Ear Conditioning (Week 11) – Foreign Affairs
- Palestinian Radio
- Trio Chemirani – Reng é Rāchel (émouvance)
- Vilayat Khan – Morning Raga /Jalsaghar The Music Room
- Portishead – Silence (Island)
- Zinc – Faster (Bingo/Polydor)
- Horsepower Productions – Special 131 (Tempa)
- Maga Bo – Homeboys (Soot)
- Reso – Channel Pressure (Civil Music)
- Low Limit – Turf Day (Rush Hour)
- I.R. featuring Deeder Zaman, Paxato Singers, the ghost, Zumbi – Galdino 2010 D.WattsRiot Rmx (Indigenous Resistance)
- Mutamassik – DounDoun (Rough Americana)
- William S. Burroughs
- Nochexxx – Smashing Your System featuring Sensational (Werk)
- Other Weapons – Who You Be [Instrumental] (Destroy All Concepts)
- Lee ‘Scratch’ Perry – Iron Man Dub / Pembi Remix (On-U Sound)
- S.U.A.D. – Epileptic – Martyn’s Remix (Z Audio)
- Gonjasufi – Rebirth (Warp)
This transmission will be floating out there via Sunhole Radio from 22h00 GMT tonight and maybe Radio Norte next week Tuesday at 20h00 GMT. Sunhole also repeat the program every weekday morning at 11h00.
Update: The above program is now available to listen at your convenience via Pod-O-Matic.